12.12.2008

Christmas in July

I remember this family vacation way back when...we were at the Federal Reserve in DC I think, but I could be wrong about that. Anyway, they had a million-dollar bill on display in a glass case and my father inquired about when they might be giving these denominations away. The guide or whatever he was replied "next time it snows in July". I don't know what real pertinence this has to this particular entry, but I have had a hard time getting used to seeing holiday decorations when it's 70 degrees and sunny.

Our neighbors have a red bow on their doors and a fully decorated Christmas tree right in their front window. The novelty of the constant comfortable weather out here has not worn off yet, so I still step out of the apartment every morning and feel a sense of disorientation due to the climate. I look at my watch to remind myself that it is indeed the middle of fucking December, and then I shake my head and kind of roll my eyes. It's become my customary reaction. Coupling this disorientation associated with the weather and the festiveness of the neighborhood sometimes sends me into some kind of confused-yet-elated tailspin.

I was driving over to Santa Monica the other day and I passed a Christmas tree lot in a parking lot. Ok, that's fine. Then I saw some dude hoisting a tree up onto his Jeep, in shorts and a tee. I just can't get used to that type of shit, man. For me, it doesn't seem right and all I can think of are those Corona commercials that come out around this time of year. You know the ones with the palm tree all lit up? I think it even says 'Feliz Navidad', which I think loosely translates to "Felix Navy Dad". I know that all of this confusion over what's really a holiday season and why in the sam hell I am still wearing my flip-flops in December is merely a consequence of living in New England for the last 28.5 years. Sadly, I won't realize the tepidness of an LA Christmas, since I will rerouted back to Boston for the next few weeks. I guess I'll have to wait until next year to be one-hundred percent positive that it won't be a white Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. so should I link to this blog now from mine? Why can't you be like everyone else and just stick with one? So much simpler that way.

    Just tell me which one you'll be updating more often and I'll link to that one. K? OK!

    Oh, and us old men have difficulty reading print so small on a gray background. Are you trying to make my eyes bleed?

    And...I think that's enough shit to give you for now.

    For now....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, hear! Thanks for putting in a plug for "us old men"! After reading these entries, my eyes are burning!

    I agree about the number of blogs! It's getting confusing wondering which one to look at or link to.

    I picked him up at Logan this morning. Lucky so-and-so, it was in the 50's at 6AM in Boston, so it wasn't much of a change for him from LA, where it was in the 60's yesterday. But, not to worry, the New England weather will welcome him before this week is over, I guarantee. But, it's nice to have him home for the holidays.

    I'll work on him to weed out the unnecessary blogs and stick to one.

    ReplyDelete